September 2, 2014

Growing a Greener GOP From the Ground Up

Republican Meteorologist Says: Climate Change Is Real & Al Gore’s Got Nothing to Do With It

Paul Douglas is a meteorologist by training, a Republican by conviction, and a Christian by faith.

(NOAA)

Paul Douglas believes that climate change is real, climate change is linked to carbon dioxide emissions, and conservatives should live up to the word “conserve” and take climate change seriously.

Think the weather has been a bit “off” lately? So does Douglas and he’s concerned that a changing climate might have something to do with it. You can’t prove that one freakish weather event is linked to warmer temperatures, but you can say that warmer temperatures increase the odds of freakish weather events happening more frequently. Warming “loads the dice.”

A few more of Douglas’ key points:

• Acknowledging climate change does not turn a conservative into a liberal.
  • Actions have consequences.
  • The Bible calls on us to manage God’s property.
  • Capitalism will help us fix this problem.

Take a look at Douglas’ extraordinary commentary.

Be Sociable, Share!

Comments

1. Forget Al Gore. He is the boogeyman to most Republicans.
    Instead, go research what trusted scientific organizations have to say about climate change, such as National Academy of Sciences, American Geophsyical Union, Royal Society, World Meteorological Organization, Geological Society of America, American Physical Society, and on and on and on.
    None have anything to do with Al Gore, and all tell us that man plays a major role in the warming of the planet and we better do something about it.
    A better question is “Are there any major scientific organizations who deny global warming, or who suggest man definitively plays no role in it?”
    The answer?
    There are none.

2. Neil Leary says:

What a breath of fresh air! Your organization gives me hope that there is a chance that we can have a more civil public discourse about important problems. I’m a democrat (and have been involved in climate change research for 20 years) and have been wondering what happened to the republicans who had been champions for conservation and environmental protection. I’ve only read a little of what you have on your site and blog, but I’m impressed and heartened by what I have read. There are many difficult and urgent questions about how to respond to climate change that need to be resolved, and false arguments about the science are deliberately sidelining necessary discussions about what to do.

An excellent book about climate change that followers of this blog might be interested in is Earth the Operators Manual by Richard Alley. Alley is a highly respected Earth scientist at Penn State who is one of the leading researchers on glaciers, Greenland Ice Sheet, and climates of the distant past. He’s also a republican, if that’s of interest. His book is well written and accessible. It also is the basis for a PBS series of the same name that is very well done.

• Rob Sisson says:

Thank you Neil for your comments. One of our longstanding goals is to return conservation to a non-partisan/bi-partisan priority.

Best wishes,
      Rob

3. David Wadlow says:

I just came across your site. I am quite frankly amazed and very pleased to hear what I consider to be a fairly rational point of view on climate change on a republican site. This completely goes against the current Washington mainstream republican agenda. Until now I thought all republicans were in lockstep on this. The laws of physics are not political. There is no partisanship in nature. I am a scientist – although not a climatologist – but I can look at the data, read the reports and research papers and so on and conclude that climate change is real, happening and so on. In fact, all the rational indications tell us that the situation in this respect is actually becoming quite serious now and that clean energy is needed sooner not later. I had a republican tell me that I was being politically alarmist by holding that ‘view’. What utter nonsense. But with all due respect to you and your readers I have found that that’s the mindset of most other republicans on this issue. We need to work together constructively on this and also other environmental issues. All this excessive and bitter infighting in politics at high levels over important, commonsense, fact-based issues like this serves no common good. In fact I think it has done, and is doing, just the opposite and on this issue it is clearly very heavily orchestrated by special interests who have a stake in the status quo. Well done to you indeed for speaking out. Of course you realize that Rush Limbaugh may not approve…

• Rob Sisson says:

Thank you, David, for your comment. We’ve been at this for 17 years now. There is no doubt that there is a disconnect between main street Republicans and our politicians. If you saw Thomas Friedman’s column in the NYT over the weekend, it is also obvious that GOP leaders are far removed from the Independent voter mindset, too. Thanks again…please share conservamerica.org far and wide!

4. Barbara Goodsitt says:

I discovered your group and I wish you much success. I am not a Republican, but I encourage reasonable people of all parties to work together to solve climate change. This will be one of humanitie’s biggest problems we will ever face. Let’s work together to find a solution that allows freedom for all of us, yet addresses the issue of pollution and using less fossil fuels.

• Rob Sisson says:

Hey, thanks Barbara! Please be sure to tell any Republican friends, neighbors, or co-workers about us!

5. Larry Mathews says:

I came across this website, and joined as a voting member. I am a Republican, and have always felt uneasy on how my party (at least most in it that I have talked to), felt any pro viewpoints on conservation were basically held by “tree huggers”. The question is how do we change this proception? We are all into this together. I believe John Kennedy summed it up most , even though he was talking on another topic when he said, “We all live on the same planet, and we all breathe the same air).

• Rob Sisson says:

Hi Larry and thanks for joining! That is one of the main points we work on….educating people from all walks that conservation is conservative. In the past year, we’ve seen the needle move on this more than anytime in our 17 year history. We need our members to constantly reinforce this idea…in letters to the editor, blogs, and at local Republican, conservative, and tea party meetings.

6. Yes, the word “conserve” is sorely lacking in today’s “conservative” ideology.

I think Creationism is central to the notion that nature was “put here” as part of a supernatural plan, and only “God will decide” if Man has done actual harm. It’s long past time to move on from the literal interpretation of ancient beliefs. Knowledge has progressed over the past twenty centuries.

I think a steady-state economy (vs. growing debt & pollution) should be a major conservative cause, but too many buy into the idea of perpetual growth, probably based on religious concepts and the old Manifest Destiny movement.

• Jim DiPeso says:

Jim, thanks for your thoughtful comment. One concept we’re trying to promote is the idea that fiscal stewardship and resource stewardship are two sides of the same coin.

7. Jerry Prescott says:

I am a Republican that just joined. I am also a Christian that believes in Creationism. I also believe that we must take care of what God has let us use. We must stop polluting the small air and water bubble that we raise our children and grand children in. We have a choice and must live with the choices we make. We need to make the right choice and look out for each other, which includes a clean Earth for everyone to enjoy and live in !